Ukadhiche Modak for the First timer
Ukadiche modak or Steamed modak recipe is very famous during Ganesh Chaturthi prasad. I heard this word the first time when I came to Singapore and I had other Konkani and Mumbai friends. I eat first-time ukadiche modak 1 year back. My first word for ukadiche modak is nice they are soft and tasty.
More About Ukadiche modak
As we always make fried suji modak for Ganesha, so I never tried ukadiche modak before, this was my first time try and its comes perfect one of friends mother in law makes ukadiche modak delicious so I asked her how to make and give some tips to make modak as she is making modak from last 65 years.
All her tips and tricks are so perfect in my first attempt that the only modak is very tasty and delicious not single modak broke.
We need little practice to make petals, so I tried 8-10 times only to make petals as I want 11- 13 petals.
I use little maida to make the dough as maida gives more stickiness to the dough and nice modak petals come. In stuffing add little sugar so that stuffing becomes more sticky.
Video Presentation of Ukadiche modak recipe
Step by Step photo guide for how to make ukadiche modak
In a pan add ghee once ghee is melted .
Add Fresh coconut
Cook for 2-3 minutes
Then add jaggery let jaggery melt.
Sugar 2 TBS ( its optional Step)
Add cardamom powder.
Cook for 2 minutes and make it dry.Take out stuffing in bowl and let it cool down.
In a pan on low flame add water
Next add ghee and salt and Let water boil.
Add rice flour and maida mix well
Use back side of spoon so that dough will easily mix.
Keep lid on pan and let it cook for 2-3 minutes. after 2 minutes
After 2-3 minutes gas and start Kneading dough when it is hot. Use tumbler or big ladle to mix dough nicely .
Once it is little cold knead dough with hands apply water to hands and knead a soft dough.
Knead for 7-8 minutes and make a dough
Modak shaping –
Take a lemon size modak dough and shape a nice ball.
Now with your thumb make a hole and using your finger press dough make a nice bowl shape. Pinch with finger and make a thin bowl.
Now with your thumb and first two finger make petals or pleats to bowl make as much as you can make petals .
I tried to make 11 to 13 petals .Press each petal upto down.
Now add stuffing in modak . And start closing modak gently with hands.
Our First modak is ready
Make all modak same way.
Steaming modak –
In a pan add water and keep bamboo steamer or idli maker also fine.
Keep thin cloth or butter paper or banana leaves inside steamer.Keep modak in steamer.
Steam modak for 10- 12 minutes.
After 10 minutes modak are ready.
Ukadiche Modak recipe card
For modak stuffing
- 1 cup Fresh or frozen coconut
- 1/2 cup Jaggery
- 2 tbs Sugar
- 1 pinch Cardamom powder
- 1 tsp Ghee
For modak dough
- 1 cup Rice flour
- 2 tbs Maida
- 1 ghee Ghee
- 1 cup Water
- Salt a pinch
- In a pan add ghee once the ghee is melted.
- Add coconut
- Cook for 2-3 minutes
- Then add jaggery let the jaggery melt
- Mix well
- Add sugar and mix together
- Cook up to the stuffing becomes dry.
- Add cardamom powder.
- Cook for 1 minute.
- Take out the stuffing in a bowl and let it cool down.
- In a pan on low flame add water
- Next, add ghee and salt.
- Let the water boil.
- Add rice flour and maida mix well
- Use the backside of the spoon so that dough will easily mix.
- Keep the lid on the pan and let it cook for 2-3 minutes.
- After 2-3 minutes of gas and start Kneading dough when it is hot.
- Use tumbler or big ladle to mix dough nicely.
- Once it is a little cold knead the dough with hands apply water to hands and knead a soft dough.
- Knead for 7-8 minutes.
Modak shaping –
- Take a lemon size modak dough and shape a nice ball.
- Now with your thumb make a hole and using your finger press dough makes a nice bowl shape.
- Pinch with finger and make a thin bowl.
- Now with your thumb and first two fingers make petals or pleats to bowl make as much as you can make petals.
- I tried to make 11 to 13 petals.
- Press each petal up to down.
- Now add stuffing in modak.
- And start closing modak gently with hands.
- Make all modak the same way.
Steaming modak –
- In a pan add water and keep bamboo steamer or idli maker also fine.
- Keep thin cloth or butter paper or banana leaves inside the steamer.
- Keep modak in the steamer.
- Steam modak for 10- 12 minutes.
- After 10 minutes modak are ready.
- Lord Ganesha’s favorites modak bhoj is ready to offer.
- Make a soft dough for Ukadiche modak.
- Knead the dough for 7-8 minutes for ukadiche modak .
- For beginners first, shape all petals and then add stuffing in the modak bowl.